Capital Concrete’s extensive family commitment to the Hampton Roads area goes back generations. It was 1928 when John Twohy II founded Commonwealth Sand and Gravel Corporation in Richmond, VA. Twohy’s expertise was put to Norfolk public use in 1946, when he was elected to the City Council and helped to develop area infrastructure, including highway and residential construction.
In 1959, Twohy’s son John Twohy IV started a concrete branch of Commonwealth Sand and Gravel and named it Capital Concrete, Inc. Twohy’s Richmond based operation worked in conjunction with its larger parent company which provided years of training and experience for the younger Mr. Twohy. He proved to be an honest and dependable businessman, but circumstances beyond his control jeopardized the success of the company and as a result Mr. Twohy relocated the struggling company to South Hampton Roads.
In 1973 Twohy started from scratch, reforming the company with the help of his wife Peggy, who left her role as a homemaker to ensure the success of Capital Concrete, Inc. A few years later, in 1975, their daughter Elizabeth, or “Boo” as she’s known to friends and family, unhappy with her job in banking in Atlanta, came home to Norfolk to work for her family.
Capital Concrete, Inc. was a small operation with 3 trucks and 5 employees, other than the family. The early years were difficult and as Boo would say, “we would send 5 trucks to jobsites and have to tow 3 of them back to our yard.” With teamwork, determination, and honesty Capital Concrete, Inc. grew to become the leading Ready-Mix provider in the area.
In 1995, Boo took over as President of the company and has since brought Capital Concrete Inc. to national prominence as the first Chairwoman of the National Ready Mix Concrete Association in 2007. That kind of recognition only confirms what the company’s customers have always known, that Capital Concrete gets it right—the first time. Although, Capital Concrete, Inc. has grown to 50 trucks and five plants, the company has not strayed from its small business roots. Boo and her sister, Helen Whittemore who came to Capital Concrete, Inc. in 1988, strive to continue the legacy of their parents, John and Peggy Twohy, that started over half a century ago.