OUR HISTORY

      Capital Concrete, Inc., extensive family commitment to the Hampton Roads area goes back three generations. It was 1928 when John Twohy, II founded Commonwealth Sand and Gravel Corporation in Richmond, VA. Twohy’s expertise was put to Norfolk public use in 1946.

      In 1959, Twohy’s son John Twohy, IV started a concrete branch of Commonwealth Sand and Gravel naming the company to Capital Concrete, Inc. and relocated the company to Norfolk, VA.

      In 1973, Twohy reformed the company with his wife Peggy. A few years later, in 1975, their daughter Elizabeth, or “Boo” as she’s known to friends and family, came to work for Capital Concrete, Inc. 

      Capital Concrete, Inc. was a small operation with five trucks and five employees.  With teamwork, determination, and honesty, Capital Concrete, Inc. grew to become the leading Ready Mixed provider in the area. 

      In 1995, Boo took over as President of the company and has since brought Capital Concrete Inc. to national prominence as the first Chairwoman of the National Ready Mixed Concrete Association in 2007.  

     Boo and her sister, Helen Whittemore who came to Capital Concrete, Inc. in 1988,   strive to continue the legacy of their parents, John and Peggy Twohy, IV that started over half a century ago.  Now, the next generation, Sarah Beasley (Boo's daughter) and Waller Whittemore (Helen's son) are part of the family business.